Invisalign is a great way to achieve a brand-new, beautiful smile without the use of traditional braces. However, many people don’t know how Invisalign works.
In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at the Invisalign process and how it can help you achieve the perfect smile.
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is the brand name for a type of clear, customised, removable aligner used to straighten teeth by shifting them into their desired position. Because they are nearly invisible, you can confidently show off your smile while doing your normal activities, including eating and drinking what you want.
The entire treatment process is planned from the start, so you’ll get an estimate of how long it will take to achieve the smile you’ve always wanted. And once treatment is complete, you’ll have a beautiful, healthy smile that can last a lifetime.
Invisalign is an excellent choice for adults and teens looking for a more flexible alignment procedure and a discreet way to achieve their perfect smile. With Invisalign, you can finally get the straighter smile you’ve always wanted – without everyone knowing you’re undergoing orthodontic treatment.
Best of all, Invisalign is removable, so you can eat and drink whatever you like throughout treatment. So if you’re looking for an alternative to highly-visible metal braces that will allow you to achieve the glowing smile you deserve discreetly, Invisalign may be right for you.
How Does Invisalign Work?
Invisalign is a unique form of braces that uses clear plastic trays to straighten teeth gradually. The trays are custom-made for each patient and fit snugly over the teeth. The trays are worn for about 20 – 22 hours per day and removed for eating and brushing.
Here’s a step-by-step process of Invisalign treatment:
- Initial Consultation: The first step is to visit an Invisalign provider and have a clinical evaluation. This evaluation, which involves taking digital scans and photos of your teeth and face, will determine if you are a good candidate for Invisalign treatment.
- Treatment Plan: A custom treatment plan will be created once the dentist considers you a good candidate. This plan will include the steps needed to correct your teeth alignment, And what to expect during and after the treatment.
- Custom-Fit Trays: The dentist will take a mould of your teeth and send it to the Invisalign lab. The lab will create a series of custom-fit trays based on the mould.
- Wearing Trays: You will wear the first tray for two weeks, then switch to the next tray in the series. You will continue to wear one tray for two weeks until all trays have been used.
- Final Check-Up: Once all trays have been used, you will need to see the dentist for a final check-up.
Patients typically see significant results after wearing braces for 12 months. However, the length of treatment varies from person to person depending on several factors.
How Long Does Treatment Take?
Treatment duration can vary depending on the severity of the case but typically takes between 12 and 18 months. However, it’s important to remember that every case is unique, and what may be true for one patient may not be true for you.
Several factors can affect the duration of Invisalign treatment. These include:
- The amount of correction needed: The more correction that is needed, the longer treatment will take.
- The complexity of the case: Some cases are more complex than others and may require a longer treatment time.
- Your oral hygiene habits: Proper oral hygiene is important for your dental health and the success of your Invisalign treatment.
- How well you stick to your treatment plan: Wearing your aligners for the recommended 22 hours per day will help to ensure that treatment stays on track.
What Happens If You Forget To Wear Your Invisalign?
Unlike traditional braces, Invisalign is removable, so it’s easy to take them out and forget to put them back in again. So what happens if you do forget to wear your Invisalign for a day or two?
The good news is that not much can happen in just one or two days. You might experience a little bit of discomfort when you first put your Invisalign back in, but that will quickly go away. Your teeth may shift slightly when you’re not wearing your aligners, but they will quickly snap back into place once you start wearing them again. In other words, forgetting to wear your Invisalign for a day or two isn’t a big deal and won’t cause any major problems.
Of course, if you forget to wear your Invisalign more often, it’s important to speak to your dentist. They may suggest switching to a different type of non-removable braces, or they may be able to give you some tips on how to remember better to wear your aligners. But as long as you only forget occasionally, there’s no need to worry!
How Do You Care For Your Invisalign?
Invisalign care is important to maintain the longevity of your clear aligners and ensure that they continue to straighten your teeth. Here are some tips on how to properly take care of your Invisalign:
- Wash your hands before handling your Invisalign clear aligners. This will help avoid bacteria and other contaminants from getting on or in them.
- Remove your Invisalign clear aligners only when eating, drinking, brushing teeth, or flossing.
- Never chew on your Invisalign aligners.
- To brush your Invisalign, use a toothbrush and water. Be sure to brush all the surfaces of the aligners, including the inside.
- Always brush your teeth before putting on your Invisalign aligners. This will help remove any food or plaque on your teeth.
- Don’t forget to rinse off your aligners after eating sticky foods, like candy or gum. These foods can get stuck in the aligners and cause bacteria to grow.
- To rinse your Invisalign, use cold water only. Do not use hot water, as this could damage the aligners.
- Do not put your Invisalign in mouthwash or any other cleaning solutions. This could damage them and make them less effective at straightening your teeth.
- Store your Invisalign in their case when you are not wearing them. This will help keep them clean and free from bacteria and other contaminants.
What Are The Benefits Of Invisalign?
Invisalign has become one of the most popular ways to achieve straight teeth, and for a good reason. Let’s take a closer look at some of the benefits of Invisalign:
- Invisalign is practically invisible. One of the best things about Invisalign is that it is practically invisible. You can wear them, and no one will even know you’re wearing braces.
- Invisalign is comfortable. Another great thing about Invisalign is that they are very comfortable to wear. You can wear them all day long, and they won’t cause discomfort.
- Invisalign is easy to use. Invisalign is also very easy to use. All you have to do is put them in and take them out – it’s that simple!
- Invisalign requires no special maintenance. Another major benefit of Invisalign is that it is much easier to clean than traditional braces. With metal braces, food can often get stuck in the brackets, attachments, and between the wires. This can lead to tooth decay and other oral health problems. With Invisalign, there are no brackets or metal wires to worry about, so food particles cannot get trapped in your teeth.
- Invisalign is a fast treatment. The average treatment time for Invisalign is about 12 months. This is much shorter than the average treatment time for traditional metal braces, about 24 months.
Despite its many benefits, it’s important to remember that not everyone is a good candidate for Invisalign. Ask an experienced dentist for recommendations and whether Invisalign is suitable for you.
Who Is Invisalign Suitable For?
To be a good candidate for Invisalign, you should have:
- Healthy teeth and gums
For Invisalign to work properly, you must have good oral and gum health. If you have any dental issues such as cavities, gum or periodontal disease, or decay, you will need to address these issues before starting Invisalign.
- Good oral hygiene habits
To get the most out of your Invisalign treatment, it is important to maintain good oral hygiene habits. This includes brushing your teeth at least twice daily and flossing once daily.
- Enough space in your mouth
One of the main reasons people are not good candidates for Invisalign is that they do not have enough space in their mouths for the aligners to fit properly. You may not be a good candidate for Invisalign if you have crowded teeth.
- A commitment to wearing the aligners as prescribed
For Invisalign to be effective, you must wear the aligners for at least 22 hours daily. If you are unwilling to commit to this, Invisalign is not right for you.
Although considered good candidates for Invisalign, some people have second thoughts because of the possibility of pain.
Is Invisalign Treatment Painful?
Many people are curious about whether Invisalign treatment is painful. After all, with traditional braces, you have to wear metal brackets and wires, which can sometimes cause discomfort. But what about Invisalign? Is it just as painful?
Here’s the good news: Invisalign is not painful! Many people say that it is more comfortable than traditional braces. This is because there are no metal brackets or wires to irritate your teeth or gums.
Most patients experience little to no pain during their Invisalign treatment, only minor discomfort for the first few days of wearing their aligners. Other things to expect with Invisalign treatment include:
- Need to remove your aligners to eat and drink
- Needing to brush and floss your teeth after every meal
- Occasional discomfort or pain due to the pressure of the aligners on your teeth
- Minor irritation of your gums from the aligners
Can Invisalign Damage Your Teeth?
Under normal circumstances, Invisalign won’t damage your teeth. It is often considered to be a safer option than traditional braces, as it does not put as much stress on your teeth. Additionally, the aligners are made of soft BPA-Free plastic and are gentle on your teeth and gums.
However, teeth damage can occur when the dentist’s guidelines for the proper use and care of Invisalign are not followed.
Is Getting Invisalign Worth It?
There’s no easy answer when it comes to deciding if Invisalign is worth it. It depends on your circumstances and goals.
There are a few things to consider when answering this question. First, Invisalign is not for everyone. If you have a complex orthodontic issue, Invisalign may be unable to correct it. Also, the cost of Invisalign can be somewhat expensive – typically around $3,500-$8,000 for the entire treatment.
However, there are many benefits to choosing Invisalign over traditional braces. Invisalign is nearly invisible so that you can straighten your teeth without anyone knowing. You can also remove Invisalign anytime for special occasions or if you need to eat something that wouldn’t work with braces. Plus, since you only need to wear them for 20 to 22 hours daily, you can still enjoy your life while straightening your teeth.
Overall, Invisalign is a great option if you’re looking for an alternative to traditional braces. If you have a complex orthodontic issue or are on a tight budget, Invisalign may not be the best choice for you. But if you’re looking for a way to improve your smile without anyone knowing, Invisalign is worth it!
The Invisalign process is detailed and considers each individual’s teeth and needs. The final product is a beautiful, straight smile that makes patients feel more confident and look younger.
If you are considering Invisalign, Ashburton Dental Centre would be more than happy to discuss the process with you and answer any questions you may have. You can book a consultation appointment online or call us at (08) 9516-1003. We look forward to helping you achieve the beautiful smile that you deserve!
Disclaimer – Use At Your Own Risk :- The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as advice for any individual case or situation. Any action you take upon the information on these blogs are strictly at your own risk. We will not be liable for any losses or damages in connection with the use of the information from these blogs.